Monday, February 19, 2007

File too big for email?

When sending email, we've all received this message at one point or another:

Error - Recipient Email Inbox is Full. This email was not delivered.

Yup. Pain in the butt. Periodically I send large media files to people and if my file is larger than 2 Mb, I often wonder if it will ever reach them or not. I was listening to an episode of EdTechTalk recently and they spoke about a service that can help me with this problem: YouSendIt. Without any account creation, it allows anyone to store a file of less than a 100 Mb on their server for a 7 day period of time and it can be downloaded by the intended recipient onto their computer. I tried it and it works. I uploaded an 8 Mb file and specified the email address of my recipient. It then sent my recipient an email with simple instructions on how to download the file. This is a great service that bypasses the email inbox and is especially useful for large files! If you're a power user you can create an account and it will accept files as large as 2 Gigabyte! That's almost two and a half CDs worth of files. WOW! Let me know if you find this free service useful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Eric for the information. I might also point out that this will also assist in the elimination of undeliverable mail because of the type of file you may be attaching. I am sure that we have all encountered firewall issues in the past as well.

I will keep this service in mind for use.

Thanks - Michael Lortie

Théane said...

Hi Eric,

I didn't have a chance yet to look at this free service yet (not allowed from work).

Here is a question that have been on my mind since I read your posting the first day : Do you know anything about their "privacy" policy? I always have issues with (c) :-)

Would you use it with work related documents or personal information?

Eric said...

Hi Theane,

Great question indeed! For me it's about using my common sense. I would not use this service to transmit any sensitive personal material such as my tax return or anything; however, if I was trying to transmit a large video from work to a SME, I would not hesitate to use the service. Even if the video was a video copyrighted by a 3rd party. Because, in my view, the simple electronic transmission of a copyrighted video (via uploading and downloading to a server) does not infringe upon the rights holder's ownership. Should someone intercept that video in transit and turn around and use it in a manner that infringes on copyright laws (i.e. playing it to a public audience without paying royalties to the rights holder)then it is that person who will be held accountable for misusing the material. That's the way I look at it.

What do you think? Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks Theane.

-Eric

Théane said...

Hello Eric,

I just look at their policy and (c) policies.
It seems to be a very safe/serious cie. I'm impressed actually.

I was afraid that it would be a bit like Google (for example) which filters your emails to show you personalized adds.

I feel more confident in using their service.

Merci de m'avoir fait découvrir ce service

Théane

Anonymous said...

You can use toobigforemail.com,.. you can send 250MB for free. Worked well for the Remixed Sound Forge files that I needed to send to my producer..